Ajinkya Rahane, captain of the Indian Test team, has recorded his 12th century in the ongoing second Test between India and Australia.
Ajinkya Rahane became the first Indian captain to record a Test century at the Melbourne Cricket Ground after 1999.
In 1999, when Sachin Tendulkar was the captain of India, he recorded his century at the Melbourne Stadium.
Here is a summary of 10 interesting facts about Rahane.
- The 32-year-old hails from the state of Maharashtra. He has played in 66 Tests, 90 ODIs and 20 T20I matches so far (excluding the current series).
- Rahane made his international debut for India in the T20 tournament. He made his debut in the T20 International against England on 31 August 2011.
- He faced 39 balls in that first match and scored 61 runs. Rahane is the highest run scorer in the tournament.
- He then made his ODI debut on September 3, 2011 against England.
- Rahane was selected for the Indian team in the Test match against Australia on March 22, 2013.
- So far, he has scored 4,245 runs in 111 innings in Tests. His highest score was 188 runs. He has scored 11 centuries and 22 half-centuries in Tests, excluding today’s match.
- He has scored 2,962 runs in 90 ODIs. 111 is his highest ODI score. Ajinkya Rahane has scored three centuries and 24 half centuries.
- He has played in 20 international T20 matches and scored 375 runs. 61 is his highest score in international T20s. Rahane has scored a half-century in T20I matches so far.
- Ajinkya Rahane has been ruled out of the second Test between India and Australia due to the absence of Virat Kohli.
- Rahane also became the fifth Indian captain to captain a Test team and score a century in Australia. Prior to this, Azharuddin, Sachin Tendulkar, Celarav Ganguly and Virat Kohli were captains of the Indian team and recorded their hundreds in Australia.
Source : BBC Tamil